Historic Markers Across Florida



Naval Air Station Melbourne



Marker ID: FLHM F-441
Location: on Eddie Allen Rd near the Melbourne Airport
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 05.494    W 080° 37.831
  28.09156666    -80.63051666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN9VG
 



Text:

This site was the 129-building Naval Air Station constructed at the Melbourne Municipal Airport at the beginning of World War II. It was commissioned as Operational Training Unit #2 on October 20, 1942 and closed on February 15, 1946. The Station was used for training newly commissioned Navy and Marine pilots. There were over 2,200 pilots who trained in Grumman F4F Wildcat and F6F Hellcat fighter planes. Of the pilots trained there, 63 died in aerial accidents and two enlisted men died in ground-related accidents. The location served more than 310 officers and 1,355 enlisted personnel. Today the area is operated by the City of Melbourne Airport Authority.

Sponsors: Melbourne Airport Authority Property Manager


Notes:

City: Melbourne, FL