Historic Markers Across Florida



Melbourne Times



Marker ID:  
Location: Front of Times Building, 2015 S. Waverly Place, Melbourne.
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Emmett David Oslin founded the Melbourne Times in a small shop on Front Street in 1894. The four-page newspaper was printed on a hand press and subscription price was $1 per year. That same year the lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built.

Around 1914 the Melbourne Times moved to the Myles Building on New Haven Avenue, west of the railroad tracks. About four years later it again moved a few doors west.

In 1920, the newspaper built a two-story concrete block building on Vernon Place, where it was published until merger with the Melbourne Journal took place in 1927. It then moved to a building on Waverly Place, just north of the present building

Sponsored by: Melbourne Times