Historic Markers Across Florida



Melbourne's First School



Marker ID:  
Location: 150 W. University Blvd., Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This building was erected in 1883 by John Goode, an early settler, about 300 yards south of his home, called Fountain Heights, on the Indian River. This area is now South Riverview Drive.

The schoolhouse served both white and black students and the first two teachers were Maude Goode and May Valentine.

The school was painted red from the very beginning. A hand-operated pump stood outside the door and long benches served as the only seats inside. There were no desks. The students wrote on slates. The school term was only about five or six months in the summer time.

Sponsored by: South Brevard Historical Society. Inc.