Historic Markers Across Florida



Midway Colony



Marker ID:  
Location: 2501 S. Harbor City Blvd., Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Midway Colony was started as a "Tent City" in 1922 and was known then as Midway Camp. It occupied 15 acres on the shore of the Indian River, just five blocks from the center of town.

The first building erected was a peanut stand. Art Radcliff was the owner of the camp. It attracted traveling show people and carnival workers as well as "Tin Can Tourists" from coast to coast.

Gradually, 140 cottages were built, a swimming pool added, and a 1,200 foot fishing pier built, as well as a recreation hall. At one time Midway Colony had its own electric light plant.

Sponsored by: Mrs. W. S. Fenner, Barbara, Carolyn and Lynn, in memory of w. S. Fenner, owner 1943 - 1963