Historic Markers Across Florida



Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims



Marker ID: FLHM F-539
Location: on Harry T. Moore Ave near Ricard St.
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 39.782    W 080° 50.429
  28.66303333    -80.84048333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFWF
 



Text:

Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims


In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooden church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.S. Gilbert. Many of North Brevards pioneering black families: Warren, Grant, Campbell, Cuyler, Strickland, Bell, Harris, Hester, Lewis, Sheldon, Abrams, Brothers, Wright, Highsmith and Mitchell, held positions in this church. Rev. James Massey served as an inspirational and dedicated leader from 1937 to 1967. Choir director Dorothy Hester also served as Youth Advisor for North Brevard NAACP under the direction of Harry T. Moore. Funeral services were held at this church for Civil Rights activists Harry T. Moore and Harriette V. Moore who were killed when their home was bombed on Christmas night 1951. Moore was Brevard County NAACP Chapter President and later NAACP Florida Convention president/state coordinator. The present church structure was built in 1964. The old wooden structure was torn down in 1968 and the annex building was started in 1971. The name of the church was changed to Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church in 1974.





F-539 A Florida Heritage Site
The Brevard County Historical Commission
and the Florida Department of State
2005



Notes:

City: Mims, FL