Historic Markers Across Florida



The Clifton Colored School 1890-1891



Marker ID: FLHM F-557
Location: on Canaveral National Seashore Rd in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Titusville, Florida.
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 45.032    W 080° 46.160
  28.75053333    -80.76933333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2TVF
 



Text:

Clifton Colored School
1890-1891


Before the Clifton Schoolhouse was built, Butler Campbell and Andrew Jacksons children were home schooled by a black teacher, Mr. Mahaffey. The teacher was paid five dollars for each student, after examination by the County School Superintendent. Any locality claiming a school had to provide a public school house, select at least one trustee, and secure a certified teacher. In 1890-91, Campbell and Jackson decided to build a proper school. A neighbor, Wade Holmes provided a one-acre lot on the northwest corner of his property. The three men built a 12x16 heart pine structure that sat on coquina cornerstones about one foot off the ground. The west-facing front was fitted with a double-paneled door. Two sets of glass-paned windows were on the north and south sides. The roof was made of cedar or cypress boards. Campbells children included Florida, Eugenia, Agnes, Henry and Willie, who was Valedictorian in 1892. Jacksons children were Annie, Mary, Floyd and Douglas, who was Valedictorian in 1893. Studies included reading, physiology, English, math and Latin. By 1910, the children were out of school or attending school elsewhere. In 1924, Eugenia returned to Clifton and later lived in the structure. When NASA bought properties on North Merritt Island in the 1960s, the families relocated to other areas and most of the houses were moved or demolished. Sponsors: The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council, and the Florida Department of State 2005






F-557 A Florida Heritage Site
The Brevard County Historical Commission,
the Brevard County Tourist Development Council,
and the Florida Department of State
2005



Notes:

City: Merritt Island, FL