Historic Markers Across Florida



The Pritchard House



Marker ID: FLHM F-558
Location: on S Washington Ave (US 1) at Stephen House Way, Titusville, FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 36.637    W 080° 48.459
  28.61061666    -80.80765
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFV4
 



Text:

Captain James Pritchard bought a lot from Mary Titus, and in the spring of 1891 contracted Pleasant J. Hall, who had built St. Gabriels Episcopal Church, to build a Queen Anne style house of heart pine. It appears today much like it did then. On the first floor is a main entrance hall, a stairway to the second floor, parlor and dining room. The kitchen was separated from the main living area by an open passage, now closed in with a side door. A narrow stairway ascends from the kitchen to the maids room above. The second floor has four bedrooms with built-in closets. Only the master bedroom had access to the balcony. The passage between the main house and maids room at the end of the hall later became a bathroom. A pipe connected to a hand pump located next to the tub carried water from the cistern below. The four fireplaces have original tiled hearths. The entrance hall light fixture is original. In 1888, Pritchard organized Titusvilles first bank, built the first generating plant in 1890 - later sold to Florida Power and Light Co., and owned James Pritchard and Son Hardware Store. Pritchard family members had continuously lived in the house, until it was purchased by Brevard County in May 2005. Sponsors: The Brevard County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State 2005


Notes:

City: Titusville, FL