Historic Markers Across Florida



Orange Spot Inn



Marker ID:  
Location: Southwest of Campbell Park, Melbourne Court, Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 4.62    W 080° 36.334
  28.077    -80.60556666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The original hotel on this site was built in 1884 on property which Richard W. Goode purchased from Thomas Mason, first white settler of Melbourne. Mrs. R. W. Goode operated the "rooming house." She called it the Goode House.

In 1894, the Campbell Family purchased the property, enlarged the hotel and changed the name to the Bellevue Hotel. A water wheel and a cement pool were added.

In the early part of the twentieth century, tennis matches were held on the Bellevue´s tennis courts and the entire population of Melbourne came out to watch.

In 1920, Harry Balsley bought the Bellevue Hotel and changed the name to Orange Spot Inn.

The Inn was destroyed by fire Jan. 12, 1927.

Sponsored by: John and Pearle Maekavich