Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Brevard County Courthouse



Marker ID: FLHM F-570
Location: S Palm Ave., Titusville FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 36.604    W 080° 48.553
  28.61006666    -80.80921666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70YA
 



Text:

Brevard County was founded in 1855 and Titusville became the county seat in 1879. The first courthouse was a two-story classical revival wood structure built in 1882, on land donated by Titusville founder Col. Henry Titus. In 1912, County Commissioners ordered the construction of a new courthouse which opened in March 1913. The old wooden structure was moved to the back of the site and sold at auction. Lightman, McDonald & Co. of Jacksonville built the two-story structure of re-enforced concrete for $30,566. Four large classical columns mark the original main entrance on the east side. On the north and south entrances were two small piazzas with one-story classical columns. County Commissioners, Clerk of the Court, Treasurer, Tax Assessor/Collector, and Surveyor offices were on the first floor. On the second floor were a large courtroom, lawyers offices, judges chamber, and jury rooms. In 1926, a three-story wing was added to the west side. On the third floor were jail cells, wardens quarters, kitchen, and hospital ward. Sheriff, other county offices, and vault room were located on the second floor. The courthouse continues to serve Brevard County, and the jail facilities on the third floor are no longer used.Sponsors: The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council, and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Titusville, FL