Historic Markers Across Florida



Provost Hall



Marker ID: FLHM F-571
Location: at the intersection of South Tropical Trail (County Route 3) and Old Settlement Rd, Merritt Island, FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 17.33    W 080° 40.632
  28.28883333    -80.6772
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVAHP
 



Text:

Provost Hall


Provost Hall was originally constructed in 1910 as the Georgiana Club house on land provided by Charles D. Provost and his wife Gertrude Breese Provost. Until their grandchildren, Charles D. Provost and his sister, Mary Virginia Provost Katz, gave the hall to the Georgianna United Methodist Church in 1992 the Georgiana Club house was used for community functions. The functions included the children’s Christmas Eve party; the Georgiana Club meeting and card party fund-raiser; Memorial Day services; and, the Fall Youth party and dance. During WWI it was the focus of many Georgiana Red Cross Auxiliary Unit (GRCAU) functions to sew items for the war effort. A fund-raising mid-winter ball was held on March 1, 1917 by the GRCAU with the KMI military school orchestra providing the music. The Club house was packed to capacity with people from all over Brevard County. The Club house was also the voting precinct for Georgiana residents for many years beginning in the 1930s. Presently Provost Hall plays a vital role in the ministry of Georgianna United Methodist Church and its WAVE (Wave of the Future) Youth Groups.

2006 by The Brevard County Historical Commission,
The Brevard County Tourist Development Council,
and Florida Department of State.



Notes:

Charles D. Provost name is shown incorrectly, his correct name is Charles Breese Provost .

According to one source,
Charles Breese Provost, along with his sister Mary Katz, gave Provost Hall to the Georgiana Church.