Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Luke's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-574
Location: North Tropical Trail, Merritt Island
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 27.451    W 080° 42.990
  28.45751666    -80.7165
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM52MN
 



Text:

St. Luke's Episcopal Church


St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay was formed by the Porcher, LaRoche, Sams and other families that settled on north Merritt Island after leaving the Charleston, South Carolina area in 1875 due to the loss of their homes and plantations during the Civil War. The first services were held in 1879 in a store building on the bank of the Indian River. In 1888, Edward Porcher donated property for the site of St. Luke s Episcopal Church. It was built with a $600 donation from Lucy Boardman of New Haven, Connecticut, along with the donated labor of parishioners. The Florida Gothic style, common architecture for Episcopal churches in Florida at the time, was a board and batten wooden 600-square-foot structure built of locally milled hand-planed island pine and cypress with a steep gabled roof and square bell tower. During the early years, the church did not have a vicar. Ministers from churches in Cocoa and Titusville traveled by boat to hold monthly services, while members led the weekly services. The chapel is still used for mid-week and special services. The church is surrounded on three sides by an historic cemetery. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.






F-574 A Florida Heritage Site
The Brevard County Historical Commission,
The Brevard County Tourist Development Council
and the Florida Department of State
2003



Notes:

City: Merritt Island, FL