Historic Markers Across Florida



Addison/Ellis Canal



Marker ID: FLHM F-602
Location: On a hiking trail in the Enchanted Forest on Enchanted Forest Road, Titusville, Florida
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 32.042    W 080° 48.185
  28.53403333    -80.80308333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1911, Edgar W. Ellis and J.H. Beckwith put together a consortium of developers known as the Titusville Fruit and Farm Lands Company. They acquired 22,500 acres in the western portion of the old Delespine Grant with plans to drain marshland in the St. Johns River Valley, to make the land usable for agricultural purposes. By 1913, 43 miles of lateral canals had been dug and work began on the Addison/Ellis Canal, which led from Addison Creek to the outlying vegetable fields. The canal was intended to relieve flooding in the St. Johns River by diverting floodwaters to the lagoon and to transport supplies and crops from the St. Johns River to the Indian River Lagoon, ending at Addison Point. The company used the coquina rock extracted from the canal to pave roads to their fields. The marshland and sand ridges proved no problem for the equipment used, but a coquina rock ridge that runs north-south proved insurmountable, and the canal was never completed. The consortium went broke and the project was abandoned. The canal never reached a useful depth, and construction ended just east of the scrub/coquina ridge in Addison Creek. Sponsors: The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Titusville, FL