Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Melbourne Beach Town Hall



Marker ID: FLHM F-640
Location: 2373 Oak Street, Melbourne Beach, FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 03.060    W 080° 33.018
  28.051    -80.5503
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN9TX
 



Text:

This building was constructed in 1908 facing the Indian River Lagoon in the area now known as Ryckman Park in Melbourne Beach. It originally held offices of the Melbourne Beach Improvement Company. The officers, Capt. Rufus Beaujean, son Donald Beaujean and Lawrence Ruckman made plans for the town which included the pier, lot sites, roads, and a railway which ran from the Indian River to the Atlantic Ocean. Eventually, the building became the Melbourne Beach Town Hall and Post Office. In 1953, a new town hall was built and this building was floated down the river to the area. It was used for meetings and classes and managed by Mr. and Mrs. Williams, and became known as the Williams Building. When the golf course was built, the building was moved to the point of land between Oak Street and Hwy. A1A where it continued to be a community center. In 2001, the county scheduled it for demolition but two citizens questioned this move and requested time for rehabilitation. After many discussions, petitions and student letters, the county agreed to lease the building to the Town of Melbourne Beach. A committee enlisted the help of volunteers. In May 2007 the building opened as a history center. Sponsors: The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council, and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Melbourne Beach, FL