Historic Markers Across Florida



Stewart Hardware - Huggins Supply



Marker ID:  
Location: 1002-E, New Haven Ave., Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The original wooden frame of this building (now covered with tile and brick), was built about 1898 by Charles Stewart, a pioneer settler of Melbourne who came here in 1888.

Stewart operated a hardware store here in partnership with Frank Fee. The Hardware store was expanded to include furniture, farm supplies, an undertaking parlor and a bank. Fee sold his interest in the store to Stewart and moved to Fort Pierce.

At one time the piano belonging to Stewart´s wife, Mabel, was stored in the rear of the building. She often recalled that in the early years she would sit at the piano to practice and the Indians of the area would gather in the warehouse room to listen to the music.

In 1938, Harvey Huggins, a descendant of another well known local family, purchased the building and operated Huggins´ Supply Co. here until 1949.

Sponsored by: Harvey and Helen Huggins