Historic Markers Across Florida



Indialantic Casino



Marker ID: FLHM F-730
Location: US 192 and FL A1A, Indialantic, FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 05.540    W 080° 34.003
  28.09233333    -80.56671666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN9V3
 



Text:

The Indialantic Casino was constructed on this site in 1923. The two-story Mediterranean Revival style building was designed by architect William Christen and developed by Herbert Earle. It opened on December 22, 1923, and boasted shops, an Olympic-size saltwater pool, a tall diving tower, and wading pools. The casino became a center for social activity in the Melbourne area, offering rooms for winter guests and space for club meetings, socials, and galas, such as wedding receptions, banquets, and cotillions. Special events included a Midnight New Year’s Eve dinner, a Fourth of July celebration, and the Miss Melbourne and Miss Florida Beauty Pageants of 1925. Weekly rates in 1924 for ocean-view rooms (including board) were $20 for singles and $35 for doubles. The casino’s pool was used for training World War II military personnel from the Banana River Naval Station. Following a major renovation in 1942, Karl Abbott purchased the casino in 1944 and changed its name to the Bahama Beach Club. From 1949 until it was purchased by the Town of Indialantic in 1967, the building was an exclusive private club. Following a period of decline, the building was razed in 1970.

The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council
and the Florida Department of State 2011