Historic Markers Across Florida



Tin Can Tourist Campground



Marker ID:  
Location: 712 E. New Haven Ave., near Waverly Place intersection, Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 4.715    W 080° 36.499
  28.07858333    -80.60831666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Almost this entire block was a campground for tin can tourists in the years 1919- 1923. Travelers from all over the country camped here in tents, homemade trailers and even wooden shelters built on the backs of Model T. Ford trucks.

Out houses and hand pumps provided sanitary facilities and water. People washed in outdoor tubs, and cats, dogs, and chickens roamed the campground.

"Gospel Cars" often came to the campground, bringing with them "hell-fire and collection plates."

Campers would also gather around a big campfire for hot dog roasts. Other activities included pine needle craft and palmetto weaving by the women.

The campground was the official meeting place for the local chapter of the Tin Can Tourists, a formal organization with headquarters in Tampa and a stated purpose of providing "fellowship" for its members.

Sponsored by: Indian Mound Grange 177