Historic Markers Across Florida



The First Congregational Church of Melbourne



Marker ID: FLHM F-767
Location: is at the intersection of Strawbridge Avenue (U.S. 192) and U.S. 1, Melbourne, FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 4.795    W 080° 36.228
  28.07991666    -80.6038
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMKEE
 



Text:

The First Congregational Church of Melbourne had its beginnings in 1887 when Edward Branch and his wife Abbie began to hold regular Bible study and worship meetings. In December 1887, five men and seven women signed a covenant that was the first step toward construction of a church building. In 1892, local businessman W. H. Powell donated a corner lot on Second Street (Strawbridge) and Washington Street (U.S. Hwy. 1) for a church. The church, a frame building with a steeple, was designed by R. J. Anderson, a local builder and was completed in 1893 at a cost of $2,065. Records show that exactly $2,512,12 was collected for the church's construction. The leftover funds were used to start an organ fund. The first church service was held on Sunday, July 2, 1893. In 1929, the church was greatly expanded by four large stucco-covered additions, and in 1959 stained glass windows were added. Between 1960 and 1999, the building survey as the United Church of Christ-Congregational. On January 3, 2000, the building was sold to His Place Ministries East Coast, Inc., for continued use as a church. A Florida Heritage Site

2013 by The Brevard County Historical Commission
The Brevard County Tourist Development Council
and The Florida Department of State.