Historic Markers Across Florida



United Church Of Christ (Congregational)



Marker ID:  
Location: 824 S. Harbor City Blvd., Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The First Congregational Church of Melbourne was organized December 6, 1889. It was the southernmost congregational church in the United States at that time.

For almost four years, public services of the church were held in the Methodist Episcopal church, alternating with those of The Methodist Brethren.

In 1892, a decision was made to erect a permanent church building. W. H. Powell gave the lot and the Congregational Church Building Society gave $500 for the building. The sanctuary was completed and the first service held on the first Sabbath in July, 1893. Almost the entire population of Melbourne attended that service. The building was considered the best, and probably the most beautiful church building on the Florida East Coast, south of Daytona Beach.

Sponsored by: United Church of Christ (Congregational in honor of past and future members)