Historic Markers Across Florida



Titusville Negro School



Marker ID:  
Location: S Deleon Ave, Titusville, FL 
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 36.425    W 080° 48.849
  28.60708333    -80.81415
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFZ05
 



Text:

Following temporary sites on Washington Avenue in 1883 and Dummitt Avenue in 1886, the Titusville Negro School was located on this site in 1915; it housed grades 1-8. The original building was burned in 1931, and a new eight-classroom frame building was erected; an auditorium was added later. The school grew to a 1-12 complex and the first students to complete high school here were graduated in 1938.

After the new Gibson School was opened in 1957, the site was abandoned and the building razed.

City of Titusville