Historic Markers Across Florida



Vassar B. Carlton Brevard County Courthouse



Marker ID:  
Location: on the Vassar B. Carlton Brevard County Courthouse on S Palm Ave.
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 36.602    W 080° 48.555
  28.61003333    -80.80925
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM8A9Y
 



Text:

Vassar B. Carlton
Brevard County Courthouse
1913

This historic public building was erected to house the seat of Brevard County government. The first courthouse was a two-story wooded structure built in 1882 on this site, a parcel donated by Col. Henry Titus, founder of Titusville. The town was chosen as county seat in a vote held after this area was joined to Brevard in 1879.

In 1912, County Commissioners made a controversial decision to construct a new courthouse building instead of expanding the 1882 structure. The four large colonial columns mark the original entrance to the two-story concrete building. There were two piazzas at the north and south entrances to a central interior corridor. Commissioners and other county officials occupied the first floor. The court, jury rooms, and judge´s chamber were upstairs. The new courthouse opened for public business March 3, 1913 and continues to serve the citizens of Brevard today.

Sponsored By: Brevard County Historical Commission