Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Titusville-Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869



Marker ID:  
Location: west side of Indian River Dr south of Main St, Titusville, FL
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 36.701    W 080° 48.387
  28.61168333    -80.80645
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMV0XW
 



Text:

Historic Titusville-Titus House
& the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869


The Titus House was one of the earliest hotels on the Indian River. It was built by Henry Titus, founder of Titusville, on the site across the street. Col. Titus had a colorful career that included blockade running during the Civil War. He became familiar with the small settlement here known as Sand Point, and returned soon after the war concluded. His wife Mary Hopkins had acquired title to this tract of land, and Titus envisioned great possibilities.

Before 1885, no railroad came to Titusville. Visitors usually traveled south from Jacksonville by steamboats on the St. Johns River, proceeding on to Salt lake a few miles west of here, or coming overland from Enterprise.

After Titus died in 1881, the Titus House was sold and expanded into the Indian River Hotel, which incorporated the original structure's wings. By 1915, it had become The Dixie Hotel, which it remained until fire partially destroyed the historic inn in 1962. The structure was torn down and replaced with high-rise apartments.

"We found the Titus House very comfortable, immaculately clean, and the parlor had matting on the floor, and curtains on the windows, glass windows!"

-A young female visitor, 1880




City of Titusville