Historic Markers Across Florida



Indian Haulover



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: S. R. A1A at entrance to Bahia Mar Hotel & Resort.
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 6.799    W 080° 6.346
  26.11331666    -80.10576666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Bahia Mar is the site of a Haulover where Indians took their canoes from New River Sound into the Atlantic Ocean. A Second Seminole War fort named for Major William Lauderdale was built near here in 1838. It was active until the War ended in 1842. House of Refuge Number Four, originally built about two miles to the north in 1876, was moved to this site in 1892. Barefoot mailmen walked their weekly route from Hypoluxo to Miami along these beaches. The Coast Guard began using the House of Refuge in 1915. It was made permanent as Coast Guard Base Six in 1926. Base Six saw considerable action against rum runners during Prohibition. It remained in active service until after World War II. The City of Fort Lauderdale purchased the property for use as a public yacht basin and park in 1947.

Sponsors: sponsored by Bahia Mar Hotel and Yachting Center and Fort Lauderdale Historical Society, Inc. in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars