Historic Markers Across Florida



North New River Canal - Lock No. 1



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: S.R. 84 at Broward Memorial Boat Lock Park
County: Broward
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Lock #1 was the first to be built as part of the Everglades Drainage District. As such, it played a vital role in the operations of North New River Canal, a major transportation link between Lake Okeechobee and Fort Lauderdale. The canal became operational in 1912 and remained in use until highways and railroads supplanted the system in the 1930s. Lock #1 was built by the Furst-Clark Construction company of Baltimore, Maryland. The parallel side walls are of poured concrete, six feet thick at their bases. The gates were constructed of large timbers and were operated by a geared rack-and-pinion mechanism. Lock #1 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in march, 1978.

Sponsors: sponsored by Broward County Historical Commission in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Davie, FL