Historic Markers Across Florida



Coral Springs Covered Bridge



Marker ID: FLHM F-517
Location: 4550 NW 95 Ave, Pompano Beach, FL
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 17.164    W 080° 15.185
  26.28606666    -80.25308333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Coral Springs Covered Bridge



The Covered Bridge was the first permanent structure built within the City by Coral Ridge Properties, developer of Coral Springs, in 1964. It withstood the eye of Hurricane Cleo that passed over it in August 1964 without sustaining any damage. The 40-foot Bridge has a single steel span. Its roof is composed of 25 truss rafters, cross braces, and stringers and is covered with shingles. It is the only covered bridge in Florida in the public right-of- way. Originally painted barn red, Coral Ridge Properties contacted the American Snuff Company in Winston-Salem, North Carolina for chewing tobacco designs to make the Bridge appear appropriately weathered. They supplied two historical designs and an artist to paint the murals. The Bull of the Woods logo, on the east side of the Bridge, first appeared in 1876. The Peach Sweet Snuff logo, on the west side of the Bridge, was designed to appeal to the ladies and was introduced in 1950. Over the years, the Bridge and murals have been restored but are difficult to see as trees have grown along the sides of the canal.





F-517 A Florida Heritage Site

Coral Springs Historical Advisory Committee
and the Florida Department of State
2004



Notes:

City: Coral Springs, FL