Historic Markers Across Florida



Evergreen Cemetery, Established 1910



Marker ID: FLHM F-472
Location: 1300 SE 10th Ave, Fort Lauderdale
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 06.257    W 080° 07.951
  26.10428333    -80.13251666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5G30
 



Text:

Many Civil War veterans are buried at Evergreen Cemetery in addition to the founding families of Fort Lauderdale including the Stranahans (who built the Stranahan House on SE 6th Avenue), Bryans, Kings, Cromarties [the maiden name of Ivy Julia Stranahan] (1881-1971) and the Olivers. This burial place for the early residents of Fort Lauderdale was established by Mr. and Mrs. E.T. King in 1910. In 1910 or 1911, a funeral director from Miami moved many bodies from the first burial ground, in the proximity of what currently is Southside School on Andrews Avenue, to the newly created Evergreen Cemetery. In 1917, the City of Fort Lauderdale purchased the cemetery. In 1921, the American Legion purchased four lots set aside for the burial of veterans. In 1926, hurricane victims were buried in unmarked graves in the north central portion of the cemetery. This area is also the baby section. In 1935, B´nai Israel acquired blocks one and two for burials of those of the Jewish faith. Evergreen cemetery is Fort Lauderdale´s oldest intact cemetery.

A Florida heritage Site
Sponsored by the City of Fort Lauderdale and the Florida Department of State - 2003


Notes:

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL