Historic Markers Across Florida



Link Trainer Building #8



Marker ID: FLHM F-878
Location: 4000 W Perimeter Rd, Fort Lauderdale, FL
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 4.33    W 080° 9.969
  26.07216666    -80.16615
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Link Trainer Building #8



Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale (NASFL), a complex of over 200 buildings, was built on the site of Merle Fogg Field in 1942 and served as one of a few specialty schools for training on the TBF/TBM Avenger torpedo bomber. Nineteen-year-old pilot Ensign George H.W. Bush, who later served as president of the United States, trained here in 1943. He spent several sessions in this building on a Link Trainer, a flight simulator commonly known as the “Blue Box” built by Link Aviation, Inc. On December 5, 1945, a routine training flight of five Avengers, Flight 19, disappeared into what became known as the Bermuda Triangle. In 1979 the NASFL Historical Association was formed by Navy veteran Allan McElhiney and a small group of aviation and history enthusiasts. Their goal was to save one building to restore as a museum for the public to visit and learn about the important role this base played in winning the war. With the help of Broward County Commissioner Lori Parrish, this building was relocated to its present location in December 1999. Link Trainer Building #8 is the only remaining building from NASFL, and the only military museum in Broward County.

Our Mission: EDUCATE, PRESERVE, AND HONOR OUR HEROES.






F-876 A Florida Heritage Site

Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Historical Association
and the Florida Department of State
2015