Historic Markers Across Florida



West Side Grade School



Marker ID:  
Location: 301 Harmon Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 7.119    W 080° 9.531
  26.11865    -80.15885
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

West Side Grade School



The West Side Grade School was the second elementary school built in the Fort Lauderdale School District. The school was designed in 1923 by locally prominent architect Morris Peterman, and opened on September 21, 1923. The West Side Grade School closed its doors to students in 1961. Following a substantial rehabilitation, the building reopened to house the Broward County Historical Society.

This culture heritage landmark records this important site, person, or event in the historical timeline of Broward County. The Broward cultural landmark project is funded by the Broward County Board of County Commission’s Cultural Division and Historical Commission.