Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Anne’s Episcopal Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 705 NW 1st Avenue , Hallandale, FL
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 25° 59.576    W 080° 8.983
  25.99293333    -80.14971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Anne’s Episcopal Church
(Anglican)
"A Century of Faith and Service”
—Established in 1914 —



St. Anne's Episcopal Church was established in 1914 by Melbourne Knowles, Ansel Saunders and A.L. Wilkins, all hailing from the Islands of the Bahamas. The first church services were held in a wooden building located on the corner of what in now Dixie Highway and Foster Road. The site was utilized as a Social Pool Hall from Monday to Saturday, and converted to a church sanctuary on Sundays.

In 1921, the organization purchased the current site of the church which was later destroyed by the "Great Miami Hurricane of 1926." The church sanctuary was rebuilt in 1927, but was destroyed yet again by the "Labor Day Hurricane of 1935." It is noteworthy to mention, that amidst the rubble of the 1935 Hurricane, the Church Bell was salvaged and was loaned to the City of Hallandale Beach for use as an Air-Raid warning signal during World War II.

Subsequently, in the early forties pioneer families worked tirelessly to handcraft cement blocks which were used to construct the new sanctuary. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Palm Sunday, March 21 1948, officiated by the late Rev. John Jarrett, II. Over the century, many priests served the St. Anne's Episcopal Church congregation providing spiritual and power leadership namely: Rev. George Taylor, 1968-1977; Rev. Robert Preston, 1977-1991; Rev. Dr. Williamson S. Taylor, 1993-2002 and Rev. Ronald N. Fox, 2010-Present.

”We can do all things in Christ who strengthens us" Philippians 4:13









A Hallandale Beach Heritage Site

Sponsored by the Hallandale Beach City Commission