Historic Markers Across Florida



Replica 1899 School House



Marker ID:  
Location: 219 SW 2nd Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 7.16    W 080° 8.77
  26.11933333    -80.14616666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Replica 1899 School House


This replica of the original schoolhouse, which was built by Edwin T. King, was constructed in 1976 as a community Bicentennial Project. The original schoolhouse was located on the corner of South Andrews Avenue and Southwest 5th Street. Ivy Cromartie (Stranahan) was the first schoolteacher and there were nine students in the first class. The schoolhouse served as a meeting place for the community and both the First Methodist Church and the Woman's Club were organized there. The schoolhouse was used as such until 1910 and was later presumed destroyed by the 1926 hurricane.

Fort Lauderdale Historical Society 1967.