Historic Markers Across Florida



The Stranahan House



Marker ID:  
Location: 335 SE 6th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL
County: Broward
Coordinates: N 26° 7.1    W 080° 8.246
  26.11833333    -80.13743333
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Stranahan House


An excellent example of frontier Florida architecture, the Stranahan House was constructed in 1901 for Frank and Ivy Stranahan, two of this areas earliest residents. It sits on the site of Stranahan Trading Post. Initially the structure was used for business and civic purposes, but in 1906 the Stranahan's converted it into a private home. Following Frank's death in 1929, the was again used for commercial purposes so that Ivy might keep and maintain the property. She continued to live in the house until her death in 1971. Four years later the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society purchased the structure and in 1981, joined with the Fort Lauderdale A Board of Area Board of Realtors to form Stranahan House, Inc. which now maintains the house in public trust.