Historic Markers Across Florida



M & B Railroad



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: Railroad and Pear Street
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 30° 26.754    W 085° 02.723
  30.4459    -85.04538333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM76D8
 



Text:

For 63 years (1909-1972) the Marianna and Blountstown Railroad was Calhoun County´s link to the railroads and commerce of the nation. Sometimes known as "Many Bumps" or "Meat and Bread," the M&B had a significant impact on the lives of Calhoun Countians. Until 1929, before automobile travel was commonplace, the M&B provided passenger service. Farmers used the railroad to ship a wide array of agricultural products. In the early years, logging spur lines extended into remote areas of the county and millions of board feet of long-leaf pine lumber were shipped from local sawmills. The M&B also carried mail, manufactured goods and building products. During its operation, the 29-mile-long line was Florida´s shortest railroad. Until 1938 it ran 16 miles farther south to Scotts Ferry. Steam locomotive #444 was in operation when the M&B´s first diesel engine arrived in 1947 and rests today on the exact location of the M&B roadbed.Sponsors: Sponsored by Rep. Robert Trammell in cooperation with the Florida Department of State - 1992


Notes:

City: Blountstown, FL