Historic Markers Across Florida



Richards Cemetery



Marker ID: FLHM F-482
Location: on CR 274, west of Altha, FL
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 30° 33.891    W 085° 08.908
  30.56485    -85.14846666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9BP0
 



Text:

On this site are the remains of early area settlers, the Richards family. As a prominent Virginia Colonial family, George Richards (1727-1818) was with Washington at Braddocks Defeat (1755), and with his sons in the Revolutionary War (1776). The family served in the War of 1812, Florida Indian Wars and Richards Company of Friendly Indians, settling Ocheese Bluffs, Wewahitchka, and Altha. As one of Floridas first pioneer families and Interpreters for Andrew Jackson for Florida treaties, they built Fort Richards where Georges son Thomas C. Richards (1774-1838) was killed during an Indian attack. Thomass son, Rev. John G. Richards (1797-1876), built the church and named Wewahitchka, and served as Calhoun County Elections Inspector (1843), Clerk of the Court (1851) and in Company A 2nd Florida Calvary. His son, Daniel Thomas Richards (1825-1879), buried at this site, survived the forts attack and built Moss Hill, Chipola Baptist and Altha Methodist Churches. He was a Civil War Veteran (6th Florida Infantry Regiment Company G wounded at Chickamauga, Georgia in 1863) and Washington County Clerk of Court. His wife, brother, a son, and other family are buried here. Son Martin L. Richards (1866-1947) founded Altha.

Sponsors: By the Peacock, Tate, Demaria, Richards, and Harrell Families and the Florida Department of State 2003


Notes:

City: Altha, FL