Historic Markers Across Florida



Hector House Plaza: The Founding of Punta Gorda



Marker ID: FLHM F-639
Location: Taylor St, north of W Olympia (US 17), Punta Gorda
County: Charlotte
Coordinates: N 26° 56.061    W 082° 03.034
  26.93435    -82.05056666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM514C
 



Text:

On December 3, 1887, 34 men in the "Town of Trabue" met here in a two-story building, built in 1887, owned by Tom Hector. The diverse group of landlords, tenants, merchants and workers, some white and some black, were all qualified voters. At the time of the meeting, the ground floor was the location of a drug store and the second story was Hector´s billiards hall. Above the drug store, at a pool table, the men passed the articles of incorporation by a two-thirds majority. They selected a city seal, a council and the corporate name of Punta Gorda. Although politically active locally and in his native Kentucky, town founder Col. Isaac Trabue had not registered to vote on this issue and was barred from the balloting. Trabue had begun acquiring land in early 1883. He had the land platted, reserving the shoreline for public use and naming streets for family members. Having given up half his holdings for rail service, a depot and a luxury hotel, he was angered by the settlers´ ingratitude. The documents were filed at Pine Level, the county seat, on December 7, 1887. Trabue sued to dissolve the municipality and regain title to the public lands. Ten years later he gave up. The Hector House was demolished in 1988.

A Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by the City of Punta Gorda and the Florida Department of State - 2008


Notes:

City: Punta Gorda, FL