Historic Markers Across Florida



Punta Gorda Railroad Depot



Marker ID: FLHM F-608
Location: Taylor Rd (S.R. 765A) at Carmalita St., Punta Gorda
County: Charlotte
Coordinates: N 26° 55.781    W 082° 02.757
  26.92968333    -82.04595
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4X44
 



Text:

Plans to build the railroad depot in Punta Gorda began in 1928. Although the trains carried passengers, the main purpose was for shipping fish to northern markets. The Punta Gorda depot is the only remaining one of this style built by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. Its design incorporated the Spanish Mission style features used by Atlantic Coast Line in six Florida depots. The original work was awarded to the R.W. Burrows Construction Company of Bartow. By 1971 the depot was closed to freight traffic and purchased by Fred C. Babcock, who donated the site to Old Punta Gorda, Inc., in 1996. In 1998 volunteers began to restore the building. The former Colored waiting room features pictures of area pioneers and local prominent African Americans. The former White waiting room includes other exhibits. The ticket office now includes railroad memorabilia, historic items from the local fishing industry and nostalgic items from World War II (1941-1945) troop arrivals to Charlotte County. In August 2004 the depot was hit by Hurricane Charlie, but it has since been restored as a Punta Gorda landmark. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Sponsors: Old Punta Gorda, Inc., Dba Punta Gorda Historical Society and the Florida Department of State - 2007


Notes:

City: Punta Gorda, FL