Historic Markers Across Florida



Trinity United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Sibley Bay St., at Harper Ave.
County: Charlotte
Coordinates: N 26° 57.640    W 082° 04.403
  26.96066666    -82.07338333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM487A
 



Text:

A congregation has met at Trinity United Methodist Church continuously since 1873. The first church organized in today´s Charlotte County, its members have been an integral part of our history. Joel and Jesse Knight, James McKay and Jacob Summerlin built a dock in the 1860´s to cattle and fish, followed by the Knights´ store and post office, T.S. Morgan´s sugar mill, Nathan DeCoster´s saw mill. In 1881, about a dozen families, cow hunters and fisherman lived in Charlotte Harbor. Trinity United Methodist Church represented civilization in a frontier wilderness.

The first church building was a box frame with a palmetto thatch roof, built near today´s Melbourne Street. It served as a church and a school until the second structure was built here in 1889 on land donated by Mathieu and Mary E. (Knight) Giddens. That wood-framed, shingled-roof structure was dedicated in 1890 and later destroyed by the 1910 hurricane. A third church survived the hurricane of 1926, but swayed during services in 1944. Men, women and children razed it, then constructed the fourth church building over a period of six years.

Dedicated in November, 1950, the current masonry church has beautiful stained glass windows, restored pews from 1890, and a tower with a church bell which rings for services every Sunday.

Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners, 2007