Historic Markers Across Florida



Dickenson Grocery



Marker ID:  
Location: 106 N Pine Ave, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.195    W 082° 19.883
  28.83658333    -82.33138333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Dickenson Grocery
106 N. Pine Street


This building, built in 1912, as the George Dickenson Grocery Store owned by Frank & George Dickenson, was constructed of red clay brick laid 12” thick and tied together with 1” iron rods to hold the 2nd story in place, with wood burning fireplaces used for heat. The Inverness Post Office was located here from 1915 to 1937 with Mary “Mollie” Pridgen as Postmaster until 1936 when Joseph P. Savary was appointed to that position. Richburg Grocery Store was on the 1st floor here from 1939 to 1942. George Marion & Edna Richburg used the 2nd floor as their residence. From 1942 to 1945 the Conrad-Morris Funeral Home was housed here. The owner, Coy Conrad served as Mayor of Inverness from 1941 to 1943. O. Frank Scofield and Charles S. Reed owned the building from 1946 to 1954, then purchased by Carl Ogden and Carey Smoak who operated “Concrete Products,” a building construction business. Carey Smoak & Jack White operated their general building contracting business, “Smoak & White,” here from 1968 to 1997. The building was then purchased by hometown brothers Tim & John Channell, who opened “Accents by Grace” which operated from 1999 until 2006. “The Ice Cream Doctor” ice cream store opened in January, 2007 and celebrated five years of operation at the time of this plaque dedication,

City of Inverness - 2012