Historic Markers Across Florida



The Dampier Building



Marker ID:  
Location: 107 Courthouse Square, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.177    W 082° 19.839
  28.83628333    -82.33065
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMYVVW
 



Text:

The Dampier Building


This building was built by Francis Marion Dampier, Jr. as Dampier Department Store. The family operated the successful department store from 1945 to 1967. It is remembered that "Frank" Dampier spent many hours sitting on a wooden bench under an oak tree outside the store, visiting with acquaintances. The Dampier family were prominent business leaders in Inverness. Western Union was run from “Dampier's” for a period of time. Francis Dampier, Sr., a pioneer of Inverness, ran a general store at Tompkinsville before there was an Inverness. He was related by marriage to the Tompkinsville namesake, Alf Tompkins. Francis Dampier's brother, Earl, ran a grocery store before the Depression. Earl G. Dampier was the co-owner of the Evergreen Hotel located on Main Street across from the Bank of Inverness. F.M. Dampier was the Postmaster, had a sawmill and was a partner in a general merchandise store. After the Dampier Department Store closed, the building housed the Western Auto Store, a carpet store, the Goodwill Store, and Carolina Direct Furniture, and at the time of the plaque dedication, Towne & Country All Wood Furniture Store.

City of Inverness - 2003