Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Crystal River Train Depot



Marker ID:  
Location: Crystal Street at NE 1st Ave., Crystal River, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 54.149    W 082° 35.508
  28.90248333    -82.5918
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMYVPW
 



Text:

Historic Crystal River Train Depot


The first railroad depot in Citrus County was located on this site soon after the completion of the county's first rail line from Dunnellon in 1887. Constructed by the Silver Springs, Ocala and Gulf Railroad, the spur line would be continued to Homosassa with service beginning in 1888.

The railroad was consolidated into the Savannah, Florida and Western Railroad in 1901, and a year later became part of the Atlantic Coast Line Company.

The railroad provided a better way to ship and receive goods and made it easier for tourists to travel. The depot became the hub of a growing business area since Crystal Street was the main road going east. The original depot burned down around 1900 and was rebuilt around 1901-1902.

At one time in the 1920's and 30's, there were four different trains arriving twice a day, including daily passenger service to Ocala. Rail service would eventually be discontinued in the late 1960's and the depot used for other purposes. In 1991, the Crystal River Lions Club leased the building. It is now a center of activity with clubs and organizations utilizing it and making it an important part of the community life once again.

Restored and maintained by the Crystal River Lions Club since 1991.

City of Crystal River