Historic Markers Across Florida



109 Courthouse Square



Marker ID:  
Location: 109 Courthouse Square, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.183    W 082° 19.832
  28.83638333    -82.33053333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMYVXB
 



Text:

109 Courthouse Square


Reportedly this land was purchased by W.S. Warnock, founder of the Citrus County Chronicle and George Demuro, Clerk of the Court, in 1908. The building was constructed and operated by City Savings Bank in 1910. Edward Sasser ran a dry goods store here in the 1930's and also first served as a City Councilman in 1918 and from 1935-1951. West & Reaves Lumber Co. purchased the building in 1920, and operated as a commissary for the lumber mill across the street, in the vicinity of what is currently N. Apopka Ave. The building was then purchased by Wilson Plumbing in 1936, and was sold in 1939 in a tax deed sale for $17.26. G.W. and M.C. Scofield, (attorneys) occupied the building from 1945-1952. The Citrus Co. Chronicle occupied the building during the late 1950's. Balasch Dry Cleaners is remembered in this building for many years, owned and operated by Paul Balasch Sr. and Jr. A steam boiler was used in the dry cleaning process prior to modern day cleaning and technology. Paul's wife Kathleen, served on City Council for 17 years & was the first woman Mayor (1972-1973). Other occupants of the building have been Lovick Williams Law Office, Endangered Species, DigiCell Communications, and at the time the plaque was dedicated, the Deco Café owned by David and Sibylle Kurtz.

Erected by the City of Inverness and Inverness Sertoma
2005