Historic Markers Across Florida



Inverness Masonic Temple



Marker ID:  
Location: 111 West Main St, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.152    W 082° 19.876
  28.83586666    -82.33126666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMYVVP
 



Text:

Inverness Masonic Temple


The Masonic Temple for Citrus Lodge #118, F. and A.M., was built on Main Street and dedicated in 1910, ready for occupancy in January, 1911. A splendid three-story brick building costing $17,285, the most costly building in the county. Originally the 1st floor housed two stores, the 2nd floor had five offices and the 3rd floor was the lodge room for the Masons and Eastern Star. After the dedication ceremonies, the crowd (between 1800-2500) flocked to the picnic grounds at the foot of North Apopka Avenue, near the residence of W.H. Warnock, and there feasted on a bountiful dinner of barbecued meats, fried fish, chicken pileau, baked and boiled ham, salads, pies of every description, thousands of loaves of bread, pickles, the whole family of cakes, fruits, barrels of ice water and jugs of excellent coffee. The town cornet band played "Dixie" and other tunes. Walter F. Warnock, Sr., was Worshipful Master of the Lodge at the time the temple was built. He was serving as Clerk of Circuit Court as well as being editor and proprietor of the Chronicle. It is remembered that a movie theater and City Hall were on the 2nd floor as well as professional offices. Dr. T.S. Henley and Dr. Harrel Martin (dentists) Dr. Claude Carter, Dr. Cranford and Dr. Gail Osterhout, Attorneys Mannie Scofield, George Scofield, Charles Fitzpatrick, and Donald Bradshaw. For many years Fall's Drugstore occupied the first floor. In 1963 lightning struck the building causing fire damage. After restoration it was decided a new building should be built and in 1965 the Masons and Eastern Star moved to their new location on Zephyr Street and Hendrix Avenue, selling the 1910 Masonic Temple to private enterprise. The third floor was utilized by the County Commissioners early in 1990 for several years.

Erected byin 2000 by the City of Inverness and the Rotary Club of Inverness