Historic Markers Across Florida



Kings Bay Park



Marker ID:  
Location: east end of Northeast 3rd St in Kings Bay park, Crystal River, FL.
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 53.818    W 082° 35.693
  28.89696666    -82.59488333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMYVXD
 



Text:

Kings Bay Park


Edwin and Mary King moved to Crystal River in 1863. They built a home nearby on the bay which came to bear their name. In 1879, a canal on the north side of the property was dug so that smaller boats could unload supplies from larger ships at the mouth of the river. After the railroad arrived in 1887, most of the canal was filled in and a spur line was completed to two fish houses at the end of Fourth Street. Rall service ended the need for supplies to be brought in by water.

In 1953, Major C.D. Woodward got a 5-year lease from the City on property at the end of Third Street. His nephews, Tom McQuarrie and Don McBride, built a pier at the end of Third Street. McQuarrie opened the area's first dive shop, the Aqua Pier, in the building still standing and also had a home next door. Arthur Lewis and son, Johnnie V. Lewis, bought the pier in 1961 and established Lewis' Fishmarina, serving both recreational and commercial fishermen. It was also a retail and wholesale fish house. Several other owners followed them.

In 1953, Vada Yeomans built a home, now demolished, on the east side of the property. The City completed the purchase of her property in 2003 and created Kings Bay Park for recreational use by everyone who lives in or visits Crystal River.

Erected by the City of Crystal River