Historic Markers Across Florida



The Dime Store



Marker ID:  
Location: 110 West Main St, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N N 28° 50.164    W 082° 19.871
  28.83606666    -82.33118333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZ0BB
 



Text:

The Dime Store


This building, best remembered as Allen's 5, 10 & 25 Store, was built by Jack Kibler in the early 1920's. Occupants included the Inverness Post Office, Vann's Drug Store and Ernest Johnston's Restaurant prior to Allen's 5 10 &25 opening in 1932. For 53 years George A. "Pop" Allen and his son Otto operated the store, that in 1932 was billed as "one of the most modern department stores in South Florida". "You could get everything there" Hardware, farm supplies, yard goods, clothing for the family, footwear, glassware, toys and stationary. During its peak, 6 employees served customers and Saturday was the day most families came to town to shop. Stores would remain open until midnight to serve families who attended a late movie, or to pick up their purchases after visiting friends on "the square". In the early 40's every youngster in Inverness would buy their comic books and toys at Allens. The successful Allen family also owned and operated a hardware store and lumberyard. Otto Allen closed the store in 1985 and donated memorabilia to the Citrus County Historical Society where they are currently on display at the Historic 1912 Courthouse. The building was then occupied by A-Z Furniture, Seaweed Sam's Restaurant, Main Exchange Restaurant, and at the time of the historic plaque dedication, Stumpknockers on the Square Restaurant.

2001 City of Inverness