Historic Markers Across Florida



The Bank of Inverness



Marker ID:  
Location: 200 West Main St, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.164    W 082° 19.894
  28.83606666    -82.33156666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMZ06A
 



Text:

The Bank of Inverness


The current Bank of Inverness building was erected on Main Street in 1916 and housed the Citrus County Bank which closed in January 1929. By June of 1929 the only remaining bank in Citrus County was the Bank of Homosassa. On November 20, 1929, the Bank of Homosassa moved to Inverness and into this building. At the time of the move, the bank was re-named the Homosassa-Inverness Bank. A short time later the name was changed to the Bank of Inverness and remained in business on this site since. Under the direction of George H. Brannen, Sr., the Bank of Inverness was the only bank in Citrus County to survive the "Great Depression". Through the years, the first floor of the building housed the bank on one side with the IGA grocery, Florida Power Company office, and Hagar-Brannen Insurance Agency on the other. The second floor housed local attorneys and various business offices, now occupied by Brannen Mortgage Company. The building was renovated in the early 1960's and again in 1994. At the time this plaque was dedicated, the Brannen family had operated the Bank of Inverness for 75 years. Hampton Dunn wrote in his book "Back Home". George H. Brannen, Sr. was devoted to laying the groundwork for a financial institution in Inverness that was first and foremost a secure depository for funds of the few who lived here at that time."

July 2001 City of Inverness