Historic Markers Across Florida



The George Carter House



Marker ID:  
Location: 301 West Main St, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.148    W 082° 19.981
  28.8358    -82.33301666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMZ0BF
 



Text:

The George Carter House


This house was built in 1903 for George Carter, Citrus County's third sheriff. The Carter House was the first house in Inverness to have a bathroom and was one of the first 13 buildings in Inverness to be "wired up" when electricity came to Citrus County in 1913. It is reported that the Governor suspended Sheriff Carter and launched an investigation of his alleged misconduct in not preventing the lynching of a black man who was accused of but not tried for, the killing of a local man named Robert Russell. His removal caused an uproar among the citizens of Inverness who felt the popular Sheriff had been treated unfairly. He was later reinstated by the Governor. Clinton D. Shultz, who successfully partnered with J.L. Connell in the agriculture and mining business, raised his family here. Mr. Shultz's daughter, fondly remembered as "Miss Virginia", married long-time County Clerk of Courts, Francis "Cowboy" Williams. The Mitchell's later owned the house, offering room and board. The house was purchased and restored by George & Carol Derewenko and Joe & Linda Bega in 1986. At the time this plaque was dedicated, the building was occupied by the St. Petersburg Times.

December 2003 - City of Inverness and the Rotary Club of Inverness