Historic Markers Across Florida



The Inverness Woman's Club



Marker ID:  
Location: 311 West Main Street, Inverness, FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.147    W 082° 20.016
  28.83578333    -82.3336
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZ0BE
 



Text:

The Inverness Woman's Club


This building was reportedly constructed in the early 1900's as a library. It was later occupied by school superintendent R.L. Turner until the 1912 courthouse was constructed and his office moved there. In 1917 the Woman's Club of Inverness was formed. The building was enlarged in 1922, paid off in 1926, and then became a library. The Kiwanis Club, chartered in 1925, was also housed here in 1925/26, and the members of the Woman's Club served lunch to them to raise funds. In the early 1960's the library was moved to another location. The Inverness Woman's Club was active during WWI, forming a committee for the Red Cross and rolled bandages as well as knitted sweaters, scarves and lap covers for the servicemen. They planted oak trees at the grammar school, naming them for Inverness boys in the Armed Services. The Inverness Woman's Club organized the first PTA in Citrus County, and furnished a room in the late 1950's for the newly built Citrus Memorial Hospital. The Junior/Senior Prom was held here in 1945. Woman's Club community services included aiding Meals on Wheels, Citrus United Basket, Inverness Care Center, Hacienda Girl's Ranch, Girl and Boy Scouts, Red Cross, Cancer Society, Heart Association and All Children's Hospital. The building was purchased in 1999 by George Derewenko and Linda Bega and used for private enterprise.


City of Inverness and Joe and Linda Bega