Historic Markers Across Florida



114 West Main Street / Citizens Bank



Marker ID:  
Location: 114 West Main Street, Inverness FL
County: Citrus
Coordinates: N 28° 50.32    W 082° 19.664
  28.83866666    -82.32773333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

114 West Main Street


”The Citizen's Bank” built this structure around 1912 and failed in the late 20’s. It was later occupied as: Vann's Drug Store, Bacon's Drug Store, Lanier's Drug Store, Culpepper's Drug Store, Bennett's Drug Store, Marshall's Drug Store.

Over a period of time, the Inverness bus station was operated from these businesses. During the years of World War II (Dec. ‘41 thru Aug. ‘45), the owner would be notified that busloads of military recruits would be making a stop in Inverness for a meal and remained open after hours to accommodate the soldiers.

As a drug store with a soda fountain, it was the place to bring your girl to buy her an ice cream sundae or a Coca-Cola. In the 1940's, Bennett's Drug Store also boasted a great cigar selection. It was later occupied by Damron's Auto Parts and numerous pub-type establishments. In 1991 two college friends, a businessman and a local coach opened a sports themed restaurant known as Coach’s Pub and Eatery. As of the date of the plaque dedication, Coach’s remains a popular gathering place.

Donated by
Cecil & Wendy Everett and
City of Inverness
Dedicated November 2008