Historic Markers Across Florida



Sharon Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 5584 Sharron Road, Green Cove Springs, FL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 29° 54.444    W 081° 48.361
  29.9074    -81.80601666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWZH5
 



Text:

Sharon Baptist Church
Organized November 15, 1885


Organized by the Rev. James Hickey. Charter Members: Robert and Adeline Hogarth, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Tolar, Mrs. Sarah Smith, Mrs. Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Sullivant, and Mrs. Celia Weeks. Property for church given by T.H. and C.B. Hayden. Cemetery land by Allen W. and May Monroe, Sept. 9, 1886. East of the church in the heart of rural Sharon community were the Green/Melrose railroad station (1883-1899), and the post office (1884-1904).


Erected 1993 by
Ethel Bradshaw Richards, Helen Milton Burney and Gladys Minton Eddy.