Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Heilman



Marker ID: FLHM F-58
Location: S.R. 21 front of a shopping center
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 30° 04.376    W 081° 51.866
  30.07293333    -81.86443333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3NR1
 



Text:

Fort Heilman



Fort Heilman, named after Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Julius F. Heilman, was built in the mid 1830´s at the spot where the north and south forks of Black Creek join. It was a temporary wooden stockade used during the First Seminole War as a quartermaster work shop and storage depot. Clustered around the stockade were the log huts of the small village of Garey´s Ferry. When the Indian wars ended the fort was abandoned.





F-58 Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials 1961



Notes:

City: Middleburg, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars