Historic Markers Across Florida



Thompson - Chalker Docks



Marker ID:  
Location: is at the intersection of Main St and Wharf St, Middleburg, FL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 29° 4.138    W 081° 51.641
  29.06896666    -81.86068333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTEZB
 



Text:

Thompson-Chalker Docks


Samuel B. Thompson owned and operated dock and warehouses at the foot of Thompson St. (now Wharf St., name changed about 1951). Thompson's warehouses were burned by Union soldiers in 1864. After the Civil War, Albert S. Chalker operated the docks and on July 7, 1873, was also granted the right to operate a ferry across Black Creek about 200 yards upstream from the docks.