Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Clay County Courthouse



Marker ID: FLHM F-276
Location: Walnut Street next to railroad tracks, between Fer
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 29° 59.500    W 081° 41.080
  29.99166666    -81.68466666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2QVN
 



Text:

When Clay County was created in 1858 by the Florida Legislature, Middleburg was named as temporary county seat. As a result of an 1859 election, Whitesville (Webster), became the official county court site. Clay County´s 1st courthouse was located there. In 1871, Green Cove Springs was chosen as the new county seat. Courts met there in 1872, but it was 1874 before a 2 story frame courthouse was completed. In 1889, a new, large 2-story brick building was ready for use. The Old Clay County Courthouse served as the seat of county government until 1973. This structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

Sponsors: Sponsored by the Clay County Historical Society in Cooperation with Department of State - 1977


Notes:

City: Green Cove Springs, FL